“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” – Leonardo da Vinci
With a design on paper, you’re ready to hire a builder. Your contract with a builder may be the biggest personal contract you ever sign. But how do you pick the right builder?
When owners are trying to pick a builder, they are usually forced to compare apples to oranges: proposals for different quality levels, for different contract types, different scopes, etc. In order to compare apples to apples you need a framework for comparison and an understanding of proposals and contract types.
YourBuildCoach.com enables you to:
- Compare and understand estimates and fees
- Get the right builder for your needs
- Protect yourself with the right contract
Spend just a few minutes answering key questions and YourBuildCoach.com will personalize the tools and info you need to pick the right proposal:
- Estimate Comparison Tool
- Builder Selection Tool
- Insurance, Warranty, and Financing Guide
Trusting a builder with a large amount of your money is a tall order. Here are some tips to help:
- Talk to builders early: involve a builder as early as possible – they bring value to the design process and good builders will identify issues before they arise
- Collect multiple proposals: don’t just pick the first person you talk to or feel good about.
Don’t pick just on price: be clear with prospective builders about what is included or excluded in their estimate and what defines a change.